View Single Post
Old 03-06-18, 07:03 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I'm not close to over fifty, is it ever ok for me to post here?

Either way sleeping is something I've thought alot about. I worked an overnight shift for awhile, and like the OP sometimes have problems sleeping if I'm not somewhat conscious of what does and doesn't help.

I can't exercise or have activity about three hours before bed, and try to have no "screen time" an hour before. No TV, no phone.

No sugar or caffeine a few hours before sleeping.

If I'm feeling restless when I'm about to lay down I'll take some ibuprofen. Helps decrease inflammation, and aches that might agitate me.

Melatonin works but larger doses leave me groggy in the morning, and while not supposedly habit forming I've noticed it's hard to sleep without it for a few days, when I used it for a few days. Others have mentioned as you age the body produces less so my experience may not be applicable.

Getting the house temperature down is a must before bed, mid 60s if I feel restless.

Someone mentioned a sleep study, great idea. My wife had one because she snored terribly and I noticed she would momentarily stop breathing. Now that she has a CPAP machine her energy, mood, and thinking is greatly improved. She's never felt better in her whole life till she started using the machine.

I've noticed for me sleep deprivation is a vicious circle - the more deprived I get the harder it is to sleep. I figure it's some survival mechanism.

https://www.polyphasicsociety.com/po...eep/overviews/

I tried looking up the article I first read about polyphasic sleep from a former military man in some men's journal, but couldn't find it. To me breaking up your sleep in the middle of the night makes sense if your Circadian rhythms are like that.