SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rEVOLVED

I was debating putting the recommended 120mm stem on my Pista, but getting one with an angle adjuster. This would allow me to try that length of stem at a few different angles. Thoughts?
Changing the angle changes the effective length, so you have to take that into consideration.

Play around with this too see what I'm talking about. It's great tool for helping to decide what to try next.

Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net

That said, I don't think you should replace the stem until you've installed the bars that you want. Going from bullhorns to compact drop is a GIGANTIC fit change. You may immediately find the new position supremely comfy, or it may be too cramped, or too low. Get the bars you want and ride for a while. You'll notice what right or wrong. At that point buy a stem that adjusts the fit.

You can't fit your bike on an internet forum. Just ride a lot and pay close attention to what your body tells you. Adjust accordingly.

I prefer the upright position because speed isn't my concern, comfort, handling, and vision are. My back isn't really an issue. I prefer the way a bike steers and handles with my hands in line with the steering axis, less weight on the front wheel, mimicking an MX motorcycle fit. I ride overly long frames, chose my stems, and cut my handlebars to achieve that.

Do what works for you.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 03-12-18 at 11:42 AM.