View Single Post
Old 03-12-18, 01:14 PM
Waltsmith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really confused about front derailers

OK, another project I’m working on is upgrading the gear set on a comfort bike. (I love to go on “slow roll” rides with groups in the area, and prefer to ride my comfort bike to my Hybrid (or road) bike. The bike bike currently has a 3x8 set up. I have decided on going to a 9 speed very wide ratio cassette, a deore 9 speed long cage derailer, and deore shifter.

But I would like to upgrade the front derailer as well. Thinking deore or 105 but I’m really stuck on what “type” of derailer I need. The current front derailer is a clamp on. The shifting cable comes from under the bottom bracket, but the wraps around part of the derailer to fasten in front. If you follow, the cable pulls down, but because it wraps around it is actually pulling up on the pivot. So I don’t know what kind of derailer that makes it.

I’m sure I’m not wording this well, but I hope you understand what I’m asking.

One of the main reasons I’m doing this is so I don’t have to use the small ring. Only once or twice I have to use the small ring per ride. But shifting from the small ring to the middle ring seldom works. I’ve played with it, and two different LBS have played with it. Shifts fine on the stand, almost won’t shift on the road. I don’t know if a better derailed will help, but I’m thinking I’m going to good stuff in the back, why not try good stuff in the front?

Thanks!