Old 03-12-18, 02:16 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I know the OP seems a bit out of place on this forum, as well as in the places he chooses to tour, but I can certainly sympathize with him. Touring certain areas is just not for everyone. I, for one, don’t need to travel to Mongolia to find out it is not for me. Perhaps a remote area like Patagonia would be nice, but larger cities in many so called developing countries are, quite frankly, not up to Western standards. When I’m done seeing all the “nice” places in the world, maybe I’ll venture further afield, but that will probably never happen.
What you're basically saying is you want to tour only in places up to "Western standards". I don't know which particular standards you mean, but I understand that some people want certain creature comforts when they travel, whereas for others, that is not a major concern. But since apparently you haven't been to any developing countries, you might be surprised by the experience.

My first trip to Mexico was biking in the Yucatan with a friend one February. We found good roads, friendly people, not too much traffic except along the Caribbean coast, nice hotels at low prices (though the Caribbean coast has much higher prices), & great food. No need to carry camping gear or cooking gear. We didn't feel like we were sacrificing anything.

I've been to Mexico City many times. It's a world-class city. In terms of what might be considered Western standards, Mexico City has a great and inexpensive subway system (which functions a helluva lot better than Metro in DC or the T in Boston). It has some outstanding museums. It has fantastic food, and you can eat very well in nice restaurants for a fraction of the cost in developed countries. You can also get great cheap food in the markets and on the street. You can stay in a nice hotel for a fraction of what a similar quality hotel would cost in developed countries. And during my last two visits, I saw more and more cyclists on the streets, as well as a shared bike program. (But it's also true that in much of the city, traffic is horrendous.)

The first time I was in Mexico City, I was with a friend who hadn't been anywhere in Mexico before, and who spoke no Spanish. Mexico City was at the end of our trip, but my friend said after we had been in Mexico City for a couple of days, that "the people in Mexico City are just as friendly as the people we've met everywhere else in Mexico". For one of the world's most populous cities, that's impressive.