Old 03-12-18, 05:11 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fork conversion from threadless to threaded?

I have a newish Long Haul Trucker 26--it's my youngest bike by about 30 years--and I want to convert it from a threadless to a threaded fork (the "why" isn't relevant to my question here, but I have my reasons.)

I thought this would be fairly simple to do by starting with the original fork, cutting off the original steerer, and brazing on a threaded one, either purchased new or taken from a donor bike. I approached a great framebuilder who has done similar projects for me in the past, but was told that his insurance will no longer allow him to modify parts built by others.

Well, okay--the lawyers are running roughshod over everything these days. But is there any technical (as opposed to legal) issue that would render such a conversion unfeasible? And who might be willing to take on something like this? A certain Italian-American gentleman on the West Coast comes to mind.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash