Old 03-12-18, 08:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I certainly don't blame you for wanting to do this. I have yet to figure out any real benefit of threadless.
My threadless bikes for sure wiggle and wobble less on the cockpit area.
Between the 1 1/8 headtube and 31.8 stem, its certainly beefier.
I find that beneficial on my MTB and gravel bikes.

Building a 1 1/8 road frame right now. I was given the choice of threaded and threadless and just couldn't think of why i would use a quill on a new frame.
I love my road bikes with quill stems and they are all used regularly, so its not for a lack of liking that setup.

Benefit of threaded-
- handlebars can be adjusted.
Reality- That happens a couple times in the life of the bike. Once they are set, they in theory stay there. Its not like they are adjusted each ride or even each month.

Benefit of threadless-
- less flex. Im tall and not slight in stature. Though i think i ride soft, i like the reduced flex.
- lighter than threaded.

Sure its cheaper/easier to manufacture threadless as they dont need specific length steerers.
Finding ways to reduce manufacturing costs is part of life. While it can often mean lower quality, its really not bad in this instance.

You can still adjust the height of threadless stems thru both spacers and stem angle.

Whats funny is that i see so many pictures of classic level top tube road bikes with comically high Technomic stems because the classic style and setup is illfitting for many people.
A classic -17degree quill on a bke is beautiful. It also seems to not be as useful as the threadless setup thats a quarter century old at this point.

Not meaning to be critical or rude, apologies if it came pff that way. Just interesting the views on threaded vs threadless. Seems there is a lot of tradition and pride in quill, which is cool, but i would think lighter and less flex would be recognizable even if it is passed over for quill.