View Single Post
Old 03-14-18, 06:20 AM
Big Pond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Throw the same parts on a blind frame and I’d bet maybe one in ten of the tensile experts posting above could tell the difference between a Pista and, well, any other steel fixed frame with similar geo. Truth is you’ll get more impact out of tires than you will from one double butted chrome frame to the next. Regardless of what the frame sticker tells you.

If the frame is comfortable for the riding you do, and you feel an itch to throw money at something throw it toward something that will get you somewhere...the tires, hubs, and rims. You’ll stretch your buck further here than anywhere else on a frame and you can move these upgrades to your next frame, if you need be.

It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise the fixed gear scene is incredibly brand conscious. Folks want to forget the neon rims but they didn’t go away they just got recycled as King headsets, etc.

Before anything else though get your bars sorted. Riser stem is all kinds of badass.

Originally Posted by rEVOLVED
When I last spoke with Matt at Wabi, he suggested a 58 frame with a 120 stem, or 130 if I wanted to be more aggressive. I currently ride a 57 with a stem length of 80. I sent him my competitive cyclist fit calc measurements, so I hope he used those to the best of his ability.

More than anything, I just want a bike that fits me really well and blends comfort with speed. I'm still pretty new here. Just did 25 miles yesterday of all flat bike path/light gravel and averaged 15mph with a strong headwind for half the ride. I think that's pretty good for a beginner. Went into the ride with some neck issues and left the ride with...some worse neck issues. I've been reading a lot of posts from @SquidPuppet since he seems to have some back issues like me and finds a lot of pleasure in an upright handlebar. Anyway, this is getting into an entirely different topic. Essentially, bikes that are sold exclusively online to people like me with limited riding experience seem nearly impossible to spec out correctly on the first try.

I was debating putting the recommended 120mm stem on my Pista, but getting one with an angle adjuster. This would allow me to try that length of stem at a few different angles. Thoughts?