Old 03-15-18, 05:51 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
This was part of a big debate here a couple years ago. Most folks stated that Park Tool's kit was for chasing only and definitely not meant to cut new threads. Especially on a steerer with no existing threads. They were adamant that cutting new threads was a huge risk, almost impossible, that the walls were too thin, and getting the die started straight was a near impossible task.

I pointed out that I have done this myself. I was told that I was a full of **** liar and it was obvious by my tone that I didn't have clue what I was talking about. I provided links to Park Tools instructions on how to use their threading tool to cut new threads on 100% unthreaded steerers. In fact, Park's instruction begin with cutting a naked steerer and end with chasing. I also provided links to Parks instructions on how to use their die GUIDE that is specifically designed to achieve a straight start on an UNthreaded steerer. A lot of poster got really nasty, saying that only an idiot would attempt such a project since the tools weren't meant for the task.

I never understood that.

Park makes a 1-1/8" die. (why? If not for cutting threads?)
They make a guide for getting a straight start.
Wall thickness on a threaded steerer is 1/16"
Wall thickness on a threadless steerer is 1/16"

Even the photos are of an uncut steerer.

I had just read the same info on the Park site and came to the same conclusion that you did. I'm going to ask some experienced frame builders what they think of the idea, but at this point it seems likely to me that there's no difference between the tubing used for either type of steerer.

I was sorry to hear that a previous discussion on the subject got ugly and personal. Was that on C&V? We're usually so polite around here. That's one reason that this is pretty much the only forum I use. From what little I've seen, the Mechanics forum seems to have more than its share of didactic and angry people. Screw 'em.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash