SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
I had just read the same info on the Park site and came to the same conclusion that you did. I'm going to ask some experienced frame builders what they think of the idea, but at this point it seems likely to me that there's no difference between the tubing used for either type of steerer.

I was sorry to hear that a previous discussion on the subject got ugly and personal. Was that on C&V? We're usually so polite around here. That's one reason that this is pretty much the only forum I use. From what little I've seen, the Mechanics forum seems to have more than its share of didactic and angry people. Screw 'em.
No, no, not in C&V. In the mechanics forum. The folks here in C&V seem to thrive on learning and sharing.

If you think about it, the choice of wall thickness was probably arrived at/determined by what will support a rider's weight and survive the duties and abuse of riding, + some margin of overbuild.

The strange part was that many (a LOT) of the people advising against it were shop mechanics and/or owners. When I asked why it shouldn't be done if the wall thickness was the same, I literally got answers like, "They are not designed to be threaded". Which of course led me to and then to ask, "In what way?". So you can guess where that went. It appeared to them that I was questioning their authority and wisdom, rather than asking a question about metal tubing.

So, of course, I lowered my standards and started being a snarky punk.

Anyway, you could probably get a fork from a totaled bike at your local co-op or maybe even the LBS, for pennies. You could take a few practice passes. You could even cutoff the threads and make additional practice starts if you felt the need to polish your technique.

Good luck, on either route you choose to take.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 03-15-18 at 10:56 AM.