View Single Post
Old 03-17-18, 11:56 AM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
your setup

Before you settle on your setup, try those Ortleib's mounted on the front and compare the ride and handling. You may be surprised.

Originally Posted by paulthepyke
Last night while looking at a map I had the thought of maybe doing the three seas: start from Rome or Naples ( I haven't bought my plane ticket yet so I don't know where I will be landing) then go to the Adriatic coast towards Bari or somewhere close to there after that I would go to the Ionic coast in the arch of the boot then back to where I started. My uncle that lived many years in Europe back in the eighties told me that I have to go to the Amalfian coast so I will try to go there, he also told me that when my mother went to visit them, she fell in love with the city of San Gimignano and if it turns out that I decide to go in Tuscany during my trip I will have to go there, after all one of the reason that I am going to Italy is because of my mother's love of that country.

Maybe I seem confused but I am just thinking out loud, all I know is that I took one month off without pay in September and I am going in Italy and I will probably go where the wind blows but I really appreciate everyone's personal experience. I will probably bring my camping gear because I don't like to rely on other people and I know how comfortable my camping stuff is, that way my expectations are not deceived, once in a while I might get an hotel room for luxury.

For the ones that are interested here is a photo of my bike as of now:
-Surly Cross-Check
-Ortlieb back-roller city back panniers
-Schwable Marathon 700 X 35 tires
-Brooks b-17 saddle
I will probably change my derailleur for a long cage and my cassette for a 11-32 teeths so it will be better for the mountains and I will add a granny gear too. I have to buy a front rack, I have small old panniers for the front rack, I have a couple of dry bags that I will strap on top of my back rack. I have a mechanical background I can do most of my work myself, but I don't have tons of knowledge in the technical side of biking, all I know is I can pedal, my legs will take me anywhere I want to go.

Cheers
Paul