View Single Post
Old 03-18-18, 11:29 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Bianchi Nuovo Racing Resto-Mod

Hi folks,

Here’s my recently completed (well, almost) 1984 Bianchi Nuovo Racing. I picked it up cheaply about a year ago with a stuck seat post and multitude of missing parts. It’s essentially a resto-mod build with mostly period correct components. Sorry, no true “before” pictures, but I’ve attached a picture of the mockup with some parts I had on hand.

As received; it was missing the wheels, crankset, brake levers, saddle and rear derailleur. It also had a messed up stem and a bad rattle can paint job in addition to the stuck stem.

First the bike was stripped of the remaining parts. Then, the post was removed and the frame de-rusted. Next step was to clean, polish and/or collect parts. In my stash, I had an Athena crankset from the period, a set of Campagnolo Triomphe hubbed wheels laced to Mavic MA2 rims, a Selle Italia Flight saddle in reasonable shape and various pedals from the era. The front derailleur on the bike was a Campagnolo 980. No way of knowing if this was OEM or a replacement due to the step child nature of this particular model. Rather than replace both derailleurs with Record models, I looked for a 980 RD and happened on a NOS one for a reasonable price. Also found a Campagnolo sealed bearing BB for the crankset. The Campagnolo shifters were cleaned and polished.

The stem was replaced by one labeled “System 1” that looks very much like the 3T one that was replaced. The OEM Universal Mod 77 brakes were cleaned, polished and rebuilt with SS nuts and new brass washers. I also replaced the pads with Jagwire after market models. Modolo models replaced the missing brake levers. Although, the removed SR Laprade post was still useable, it was replaced by an unbranded model that looks good with the bike and has a nicer finish.

I got an exceptional deal on the “Celeste” (RAL6027) through the Co-op where I volunteer because the shop already had the color. The build was finished off with SS cables throughout, Blue cable housing/HB tape and black lever hoods to match the saddle (?). I’m now awaiting the decals.

This is one of the few Italian bikes that I’ve owned and it turned out to be the best ride of all. The first was an early 70s entry level Bianchi that came with sew-ups. I bought it as a close out at a local sporting goods store mainly for the parts and later built it up as a three speed commuter before passing it on. It was basic transportation. In the late 80s I got an Oria tubed Montagner frameset that I built up with Ofmega components. It was so stiff that I could only ride it for about 20 miles and I was much younger then. The Nuovo racing rides and handles comparatively to my late 70s sports tourer. Please excuse the pedals, they’re just for test riding.

Cheers,

Van
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bianchi 01.jpg (441.7 KB, 858 views)
File Type: jpg
Bianchi1.jpg (561.1 KB, 857 views)