View Single Post
Old 03-23-18, 04:41 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
@Kontact
Is this a marketing seminar or just a parallel universe? I just don't recognize any reality in which 126 hubs and 130 hubs are equally strong. Maybe it is the same reality where all 130 hubs have the same flange spacing. Also am puzzled by how you present as having encyclopedic comprehensive and detailed knowledge of everything but are reduced to gleaning tidbits from Velobase and asking the oldtimers here. And you worked for Ron, who would know as much or more about all the things you ask about as any person living. You could simply ask him.
@noglider
The function of stainless steel spokes is to be shiny. Customers pay for shiny.
Consider DT Revolution spokes @ 2.0/1.5mm. Most builders don't want to use them on DS rear. I have done that for personal wheels and am not playing again. Compare to Schwinn/Union 0.80/0.60" spokes. Oh eighty oh sixty is just American for 2.0/1.5. Schwinn built millions of wheels with those spokes and never a problem. The Union spokes were always simple and pleasant to work with.
I have a wheel built with rusty no name spokes that measure approx. 1.9/1.4mm. Actually a bit less than 1.4 but they are rusty so the rough measure will do. Built sixty years ago. At 190# I should not be riding a 32 spoke wheel with 1.4mm spokes. But I figure I'll ride it until it surrenders. Eight thousand miles so far and it seems fine. Good spokes. Also a good build.