View Single Post
Old 03-26-18, 09:46 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Not so great results at San Dimas this weekend.

Got to the TT a bit late and didn't have a proper warmup - power was not where I wanted it to be, time was only 1 sec faster than last year. Wasn't expecting to be competitive but would have liked to go a bit better.

The road race was super hard. Pro-triathlete that rode a ridiculous time in the hill climb TT was determined to not let anything go, and a bunch of strong guys kept attacking, so it was strung out and very hard a lot of the time. We shelled the better part of the field by the end. Teammate was OTF for the last lap and got caught 50m before the finish. I was supposed to sweep up the sprint, but I got gapped a bit over the last time up heckler's hill, thought I caught back on, but then the guys on the back of the pack sat up in front of me and I didn't catch it early enough to go again and latch on. 15 guys ended up coming through for the sprint, from 69 starters. Those odds would have been in my favor had I been up there.

Crit started off really well for me. I was at the front of the field for most of it, and was cornering and positioning really well. Got swarmed a bit at 2 to go, but clawed my way back up to top 8 or so, was a couple wheels back from my teammate. The final corner was taken 2-wide, and my teammate was on the inside and took too tight of a line and slid out. I didn't have room to dive inside it and had to veer outside and unclip, so again no sprint for me.

Overall fairly happy with how I raced it. I've been on a 2nd base-building period recently, doing weights and big gear stuff, so my top end was not quite there. Could have done better with hydration and eating in the RR, and should not have let myself get swarmed in the crit so I could have been 1st or 2nd through the last corner. Still, last year I never even saw the front of the group and had a really tough time moving up through the corners, so it's a marked improvement over that.