Old 03-28-18, 10:00 AM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
The wheel selection in my opinion is a really big deal. Wheels have been an issue for us for years. How many spokes, what rims etc. On our current bike we are on our 4th set of wheels. The original build utilized Bontrager tandem wheels, no real issues but they are very heavy. I still have them hanging on the wall. Second set were Topolino, light comfortable but had rim issues, still have them stored away and then I went with Spynergy wheels, good wheels no issues but I have always liked the Hed 3 wheels and modified the rear of the tandem to accept the Hed 3. We now have probably 25,000 miles on the Hed wheels and those are the wheels we sill run. I have them on my single so I have a backup set if needed.

So 26", 650 or 700? Whose wheels will you use and what tires? Are they readily available if you are traveling and need a spare? All questions that need to be considered? Who makes or builds tandem specific 650 wheels?

As for front wheel toe overlap, we have it and it is something you learn to live with.

What about tubeless tires?

What about building it as an ebike? We added a Bafang BBSHD motor to ours and absolutely love it!

Just additional thoughts for a new build.

Last edited by DubT; 03-28-18 at 03:26 PM.