View Single Post
Old 03-28-18, 01:41 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
650B conversion and brake response

I recently did a 650B conversion on one of my bikes, and I'm a little bit frustrated with the brakes, and I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I went from Tektro R539s with 700C Sun CR18s to R559s with 650B Velocity A23s, using the same Kool Stop salmon pads. After some initial concerns about the front brake not being as responsive as it was before, I de-glazed the pads with a file this afternoon, and that didn't seem to make any difference (at least in the front - the rear now locks right up, and I don't think it was before). I also switched the pads between front and rear, and that didn't seem to make a difference either.

I'm pretty confident that the front brake was more responsive before - even using the R559s with the CR18s and the same levers on a previous build (and also with Mavic A119s on another bike). I like the confidence that comes with being able to brake late and stop quickly from the hoods position, and I don't currently have that.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anything else I should try? I don't particularly want to go back to the 700C wheels if I don't have to - the 28mm tires are a little narrow for my taste.