Old 04-02-18, 08:15 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don't. I'm not sure where this idea that you can't dry Lycra came from but it is entirely wrong. Bicycle clothes don't need to be air dried. They are simply not that delicate. The heat of a drier is even beneficial in that it resets the stretch of the Lycra polymer.

I have loads (and loads) of bicycle clothes that have been machine washed and dried for more than 20 years and they are still going strong. They are starting to look a little thin but that's wear. They still stretch like they always have.

Now I know that some (perhaps most) people only carry one extra set of bicycle clothes and do laundry every night but I personally hate doing that. A jersey and a pair of shorts doesn't weigh all that much so I carry 4 total sets of bicycle clothes (I wear one and carry the other 3). That way I only have to do machine laundry every 3rd or 4th night.

I really hate the idea of doing all the things you need to do at the end of a day of touring and then add hand washing bike clothes to that.
Maybe if you have a modern advanced washer and drier with a delicate/hand cycle? Some driers you can even switch off the heat. Otherwise, stay away from commercial washer/driers. Those agitators are way too powerful, and the driers will cook your cycling clothes (Lycra) before you know what happened.

At best, it will weaken the fabric shortening its life and causing it to lose its shape and wicking ability. This is true with clothes in general, but more so with delicate items. Front load washers ftw.