View Single Post
Old 04-04-18, 11:19 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Question: when you have a vintage 3 speed of no particular fame or value, how do you decide what to do with it?
I bought a Raleigh Twenty (coffee colored), all original & never serviced. As some may know these little bikes are a great starting point for all sorts of modifications.

It’s my 4th one. One got powder coated and @gugie moved the brake mounts, and I built 451 wheels. Second one is pristine all original & fully overhauled. Third I used Rhyno Lite 406 rims with SA drum brake front & 2-speed kick back w/coaster in back. Also fully overhauled.

I’m sort of thinking to just do a basic overhaul, new grease, bearings, cables, brake pads and see if I get inspired. I’ve got a set of Sun CR18 451 rims that are new I could build up.......
That's more than one question, so I'll give my answer to the first.

I have bought a few old 3 speeds that I didn't want or need; but I just wanted to save them. Some of them were sold, some given to friends, some in limbo in the garage, and some donated.

I will definitely keep 4 Raleighs, but I have 1 Raleigh and one Sears/Steyr that will go.