View Single Post
Old 04-04-18, 11:41 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Question: when you have a vintage 3 speed of no particular fame or value, how do you decide what to do with it?
I bought a Raleigh Twenty (coffee colored), all original & never serviced. As some may know these little bikes are a great starting point for all sorts of modifications.

It’s my 4th one. One got powder coated and @gugie moved the brake mounts, and I built 451 wheels. Second one is pristine all original & fully overhauled. Third I used Rhyno Lite 406 rims with SA drum brake front & 2-speed kick back w/coaster in back. Also fully overhauled.

I’m sort of thinking to just do a basic overhaul, new grease, bearings, cables, brake pads and see if I get inspired. I’ve got a set of Sun CR18 451 rims that are new I could build up.......

Doing the lube, fix-up and complete detailing is a great idea in any case. If you become attached to the bike, fine. If you don't, it will be ready for sale and a new home. I'm currently doing the same with a 1971 Holdsworth road bike. I seem to have a habit of refurbish, keep for a year or two and sell. Of course a few special bikes are "keepers".