View Single Post
Old 04-04-18, 11:50 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
the guy asks 'budget', you say Phil. On another thread, the guy asks 'budget' drivetrain upgrade, you say Rohloff.
Keep in mind budget is not just right then and there but also cost over time. A Phil Wood hub is likely to outlast many wheelsets and can be quite easily serviced. Rohloff hubs also last a really long time with low service intervals. Yes they do cost more initially but having something that could last longer than you and will retain value over time can be considered budget. Just because something is cheap doesn't make it budget.

Suggesting that you have a freewheel hub that has lasted over 10 years and many long tours and is still going sounds pretty budget to me. I know some folks who go through wheels more frequently and something like that would be a wise move for them.

However yes there are hubs that exist which do the job quite decently and don't cost as much.

@OP I would recommend getting a disc hub regardless because that way you can still keep using it if you make the switch to discs and keep QRs. You just won't use the rotor mount. It will be a lot easier to find disc 135 then non-disc