View Single Post
Old 04-04-18, 11:47 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
I have it firmly in mind. It's just that most peoole don't go through 'many wheelsets'. I have no doubt about Phil's durability. It's just that it is surplus, excess durability for those at the extreme margins. Ditto for Rohloff. But let's cut through the fog here. The likes of Phil and Rohloff are often status symbols. If i had a penny for everytime you guys lecture, hector us on the advantages of Phil, Rohloff, etc. Bob has a penchant for bringing up his Rohloff and Phil at every turn. Tone-deafness, that's what it is when the constraint is 'budget', and one suggests Rohloff and Phil.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Keep in mind budget is not just right then and there but also cost over time. A Phil Wood hub is likely to outlast many wheelsets and can be quite easily serviced. Rohloff hubs also last a really long time with low service intervals. Yes they do cost more initially but having something that could last longer than you and will retain value over time can be considered budget. Just because something is cheap doesn't make it budget.

Suggesting that you have a freewheel hub that has lasted over 10 years and many long tours and is still going sounds pretty budget to me. I know some folks who go through wheels more frequently and something like that would be a wise move for them.

However yes there are hubs that exist which do the job quite decently and don't cost as much.

@OP I would recommend getting a disc hub regardless because that way you can still keep using it if you make the switch to discs and keep QRs. You just won't use the rotor mount. It will be a lot easier to find disc 135 then non-disc