View Single Post
Old 04-06-18, 12:49 AM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I spent a night in the McKeesport Hostel last summer. The people running it are very friendly, helpful and love to have visitors. I found the hostel was completely equipped with everything you'd need. Regarding the crime in McKeesport they told me several things: don't go up into town; staying down near the shelter, in the park, by the marina and on the (GAP) trail would be okay/safe. There is a restaurant right down the bike path from the hostel, across from the Marina that is good, safe to get to and open most (but not all the time). And lastly they said, especially for the night and sleeping, lock the door, keep the windows shut (it is air-conditioned) and don't go outside. (Basically no one will know/don't let anyone know you're in there.) I'd stay there again and I felt safe there, but I'd follow their suggestions.