Old 04-09-18, 06:31 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Thought I had a bargain when I got a Kona Lanai as new for half retail price of ebay. Jumped in by impulse before I allowed my logic chip to kick in.

Absolutely dire piece of junk really. Naff frame, crappy freewheel, rubbish single wall rims, clicking bottom bracket, dire front suspension, tourney front derailleur, twist grip gear shifters. The only thing that was really a step up from bottom was the Altus rear derailleur. I was convinced when I first got it the person had swapped out all the decent components but no on checking everything was stock. Convinced the original purchaser had just totally rejected the bike and was happy to get almost anything for it.

It wasn't even a decent frame compromised by cheap components the frame was crap too. £300 normal retail price in the UK. I can't really complain for the price I paid but such junk for £300. Just to put in context £300 would buy a basic freehub equipped mountain bike from many other brands with equal or better front suspension (likely better). It's taught me that decent brands can do some pretty dire entry level models that frankly are a joke and utterly noncompetitive.

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=10013

Just looking at that bikepedia page and see the bottom bracket was a Chin Haur CH-46 which I've never heard of.

A quick search shows this thread.

Chin Haur strikes again with injuries

My view of the Lanai has got slightly worse.

Don't think I'm anti-Kona though. I have 2 Kona Hoss bikes.