View Single Post
Old 04-12-18, 07:15 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by The Snowman
There are some longer rail trails, if you're willing to drive a little. The East Bay Bike Path that starts in East Providence, RI is probably the best for minimal rooting. It's 14.5 miles long and has a few road crossings.

The Washington Secondary Trail that starts in Cranston is decent. I like this one, because it's a steady uphill on the way out and a steady downhill on the way back. There are a few rooted areas and road crossings. It's 15 miles long.

The Blackstone Bikeway that starts in Woonsocket, RI is also decent. It's 19 miles long and also has a few rooted sections and road crossings.
I live in Portsmouth, just over the bridge from the East Bay Bike Path's southern terminus in Bristol. Once or twice per year I go over to give it a ride up to East Providence, and points north. And every time for the last few years I ask myself why. The southern half of the trail is totally FUBAR with tree roots and frost heaves. I always end up riding south, back to Bristol, on the streets and roads. And with the condition of roads here in RI...that's saying something about the condition of the trail. Supposedly RIDOT is working to repair the condition of the trail. But...aren't they always?

Dan