Old 04-12-18, 12:14 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
I took another 30 min test ride, and the compression bolt loosened itself again. It moved approximately 4/20 turn counterclockwise to the point where the cranks touch the BB cups with no preload. The left crank arm moved outward a little bit, since there was a little bit of play, but not as much as during the 1st ride.

The torque on the clamping bolts on the left crank was still 16 Nm like I set it to. I had the compression bolt torqued against the left crank arm to around 6-8 Nm.
After the ride, the compression bolt loosened itself to the point of zero torque. If I tightened it again, the left crank does not move inwards enough to its original position so there is still too much play.
I had to loosen the left crank and start the installation procedure again.

The compression bolt has no thread tape or compound. The instructions don't mention to use them. Perhaps I will have to?

It's the first time I'm using an integrated axle with external BB. I've only used JIS square taper BB's before this one.
Like the top cap on a threadless headset, the compression cap doesn't do anything once the clamping bolts are tight. You should be able to ride without it even installed because the clamping bolts should do 100% of the work. Once you have clamped the left arm, the left arm should not move on the spindle.

Are you sure it actually moved, or did the seals seat in creating some play?