Old 04-12-18, 02:36 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I have a basic assumption: The more visible I am to drivers, the less likely I am to get hit by one

This assumption is confirmed by my personal observation: When I drive I can see cyclists wearing hi-vis, with reflectors and with bright blinking lights much more easily and sooner than those without the visibility aids

Therefore I wear hi-vis mostly, use a lot of lights and have put extra reflective tape on my bikes.

Not scientific, but works for me

I also drive with my lights on all the time, for 40 plus hears of driving, based on a) when i started my dad insisted and b) observation that in all situations cars with lights on are easier for other drivers to see

ymmv
This.

Except honestly....as a car driver I notice lights on a bike LONG before I notice bright colors.

As a driver, bright colors really only come into play at night. Those day glo yellow shirts are easier to see at night in ambient street lighting. In the daytime, lights on a bike do more than a bright shirt will. And the whole bike and rider is so well lit up in the sunlight that I'm not sure high vis clothing helps a lot.

BUT!!!! I doesn't hurt like the 'study' says.