Old 04-13-18, 03:36 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4308 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Again, you keep referring to things that you seem unwilling to actually articulate. If you want a response to something specific, re-post the specific thing you want a response to.
No, you keep ignoring what I say.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Of course not, but as black and white police cars show, black is a high contrast color.
I addressed that.

No, the black serves as a background to the white (that is, the purpose of the black is to enhance the visibility of the white area). And the purpose might not be to increase visibility but to make them distinguishable as police cars.

And we are talking about cars of one color. Multicolor cop cars doesn't mean that black alone is more visible than white alone.

And, this completely ignores the typical colors used in undercover police vehicles!
You ignored this.

Of course not, but as black and white police cars show, black is a high contrast color.
No, they don't.

I don't know that white is any more remarkable to the eye than black - both stand out because they contrast with more muted colors.
White reflects light; black absorbs light. This is basic stuff.
You ignored this.

If I was concerned about visibility, I would pick certain colors because of studies about the human eye and colors. I wouldn't base my selection on studies that completely fail to delineate between a variety of human factors.
White works like those "certain colors" much, much more than black does.

If you'd pick "certain colors", it wouldn't make sense to pick black over white of those "certain colors" were not available.
You ignored this.

No, I'm not. And if you'd like to point to why you think I'm doing that, I will explain that as well.
You do so with the "I would pick certain colors because of studies about the human eye and colors".
You ignored this.

If I was concerned about visibility, I would pick certain colors because of studies about the human eye and colors. I wouldn't base my selection on studies that completely fail to delineate between a variety of human factors.
It wouldn't make sense to choose black over white "because of studies about the human eye and colors".
You ignored this.

No military uses black for daytime camouflage because it contrasts to much with background colors. Crows are as easy to see as doves.
One reason black "contrasts too much" is because the military objects are large.

In any case, the point of choosing a color isn't likely for bright daytime conditions (where it might not matter much).

The military uses black in many other contexts but not really with the intent of making stuff "contrast too much" or "more visible".
You ignored this.

In terms of car color, this would be an interesting conversation if cars only came in black or white. But since they come in mostly medium tones, my point about high contrast colors like black, white or red stands. These colors are all rather conspicuous compared to the more common gray, tan and gold.
No, there's no data that black or dark colors are conspicuous (more so than white).

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-13-18 at 03:44 PM.