Old 04-15-18, 08:00 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
FIFY. They don't distribute brands. They have purchased brand names form defunct but respected manufacturers like Dawes, Motobecane, Kestrel, and Windsor. They farm their work out to Chinese manufacturers and slap these labels on them.
My Motobecane frame is made by Kinesis, which is a reputable frame manufacturer and was made in Taiwan. Trek also outsources the frame production. Ultimately a brand is just a decision on what components inc. fram to assemble.

Unlike LBS brands like Giant and Specialized, BD lists the actual component brands (i.e. rim, hub, headset) and you know what it is. LBS brands just use total no-name products and call it a Giant-SX whatever. I'm not saying BD uses better components, but they don't try to make a non-name appear legit by faking a brand.

A bicycle is not rocket science, once you have a frame and fork that don't break, it is just selecting components. The GX RD on a Trek is the same as on a BD bike.

Maybe being a real brand requires more innovation, like coming up with new creaking press fit BB standards every year.... but I'm fine with a not-innovative threaded BB....