Old 04-15-18, 09:27 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
My Motobecane frame is made by Kinesis, which is a reputable frame manufacturer and was made in Taiwan. Trek also outsources the frame production. Ultimately a brand is just a decision on what components inc. fram to assemble.

Unlike LBS brands like Giant and Specialized, BD lists the actual component brands (i.e. rim, hub, headset) and you know what it is. LBS brands just use total no-name products and call it a Giant-SX whatever. I'm not saying BD uses better components, but they don't try to make a non-name appear legit by faking a brand.

A bicycle is not rocket science, once you have a frame and fork that don't break, it is just selecting components. The GX RD on a Trek is the same as on a BD bike.

Maybe being a real brand requires more innovation, like coming up with new creaking press fit BB standards every year.... but I'm fine with a not-innovative threaded BB....
Why are you so defensive? My comment was that they do not sell brands, they buy the labels of out of business brands and use them on their bikes - that is a fact. I think you are also mixing up brands and models. BD and GIANT an Trek are brands, their various bikes are models.

BD also use no name parts like stems handlebars, seatposts, saddles, fork, headset and some parts with names I can't find anywhere (Dura Forte Taperblade fork). BD tells you no more than LBS brand-names do of what their components are.

Right, BD don't try and do innovation.

Last edited by GeneO; 04-15-18 at 09:35 AM.