View Single Post
Old 04-15-18, 10:20 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
BD also use no name parts like stems handlebars, seatposts, saddles, fork, headset and some parts with names I can't find anywhere (Dura Forte Taperblade fork). BD tells you no more than LBS brand-names do of what their components are.
First, let me state for the record that in house branded stuff can be very high quality. Bontrager, Roval, Syncros, Oval, MOST, Giant etc, these are all in-house brands that make great stuff.

Having stipulated that, in fairness take a look at any BD bike at $1,500 or more and compare it to an LBS brand bike at $1,500 or more. Big LBS brands have almost entirely gone all in-house brand across the board these days on every part you mentioned at all levels (even the very high end). Meanwhile, BD sells lots of bike with Ritchey or Race Face components, Mavic wheels, Continental, Maxxis or WTB tires etc. With higher end BD bikes, you can go online and buy the wheels/stem/bars/saddles/tires they are specing elsewhere. More often with high end BD, you know exactly what you're getting. Regardless of whether that matters or not (and it may not), I think that was the point being made.

This of course is not true with lower end BD. But it isn't true for anyone these days at the lower end.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-15-18 at 10:25 AM.