Old 04-18-18, 01:36 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johnggold
I am restoring a 1979 Peugeot tandem. The attached photos show the freewheel removed. I need to strip, clean and lub. Normally there are recesses easy to get at to unscrew and disassemble.

There are recesses but very hard to get at. I'm assuming there is a tool or something that will do the trick.
You will need to remove at least the outer cog, possibly the outer two cogs, with two chain whips, or a freewheel vise and a chain whip. Once you do you will see the outer race.
Are you sure you want to disassemble it completely though? It's not usually necessary. You know what's inside, right? Lots and lots of tiny ball bearings. It's rather tricky to reassemble.
I don't recommend freewheel disassembly unless it's really rough and can't be smoothed out by dripping oil into it. Most of the time, a soak in solvent will remove most of the old lube and dirt. Blowing it out with compressed air usually takes care of the rest, if you have it.

There are four recesses on the back. Not sure if I'm looking at this all wrong.

Any ideas?
Those holes are the lubrication ports for the pawls.
Tandem freewheels have more pawls to handle the torque of two people. A strong tandem team can blow up a freewheel for singles without much trouble. I'd expect a similar freewheel for singles to have only two such holes.

Front Wording

Maillard Made in France

Rear Wording

M34.7x100 FRENCH
As you might guess, it's French thread. Do not replace with any other threading of freewheel, you will ruin the hub threads.