Old 04-19-18, 07:02 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Lcweightlose
I have been eating very well and have been losing pretty decent weight with the walking every night and the eating right. I was 407 about three months ago. And now I’m just trying to do a little more... I would ride at a slow pace for much longer distances then what I would walk. It hurts my shins after a while of walking ( over an hour or so) but the route we take is about 1.3 miles and if I had the bike I could probably triple that and be happier. I have also been doing a lot of sit ups and push ups and yoga type stuff in the evenings. Just curious if this bike would hold up for at least a few months. ( I tried to post a url but it wouldn’t let me because I haven’t made 10 posts.... it was a link to amazon for the mongoose Brutus 26 x 4.25 fat tire bike)

I read reviews on a few places saying they didn’t have any issues with it. But I figured I would ask here also since I had just joined.
The problem is, a 4 mile bike ride, while it is a start, won't really do much. You won't burn enough calories to make much of a difference in your weight loss. The only benefit is that if you stick with it, your body will eventually adapt and you will eventually ride further. Which is what you need to do. Specifically, you need to ride at a pace that will raise your heart rate got about an hour, 4 or 5 times per week. My suggestion is to work up to 12, or maybe 14 miles in an hour, with occasional longer rides of 25 miles or more to build endurance and burn more fat. And even then, your body will eventually adapt, forcing you to work harder and eat even less to continue to lose weight, though in some ways, that is a sign the training is working. And, the Mongoose won't get the job done.

Edit. Congratulations on your weight loss. I know from experience that changing your diet is not easy. I have recently gone down that same path because despite riding a lot at a decent level of intensity, I am still at least 60, and maybe even 80 lbs overweight. So go into this bike riding thing with realistic expectations. The bike riding is more a reward for your discipline at the table rather than something you do to burn a lot of calories.

Last edited by MRT2; 04-19-18 at 07:47 AM.