Old 04-19-18, 01:37 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jwh20
If you look at the bikes typically used for bike sharing systems, you'll see that these things resemble the kinds of bikes you and I would consider viable bikes only superficially. These are purpose-made to a very different set of criteria and usually include things like built-in locks, radio tracking device and associated battery/charger, a dropped down-tube (i.e. a girly-style) frame, wide sprung seat, and large flat-proof tires. They often also have racks and all sorts of reflectors. Remember that they market these things at city planners not individual bike buyers. Planners are looking for longevity, low-upkeep, long-term reliability, etc. I think they also seem to prefer bizarre looking design vs. traditional bike styles.
Planners don't get to pick the bikes, as far as I know (planner for 32 years and involved in recent bike share stuff).