Old 04-23-18, 10:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I never OTB Never on the road, only mountain biking. I did it quite a few times in my early days, it still happens on rare occasion now, but it is always while doing something that I know OTBing is a possible outcome.

Braking was probably associated with some of my earliest OTBs, but not really anymore. It would be a situation where I was going down something steep, had my front brake on, then hit something like a big root. Rookie mistake.

Now I am much more attuned to when I need to be off the brakes, even if it is just for a moment I am clearing an obstacle.

So now OTBs are never associated with braking, because anything that has a remote chance of putting me OTB is going to make me let off the brakes.

IMO, unless you are some hamfisted clod, the type of brake should not really matter. I hear about people grabbing a handful of panic brake and going OTB and I just don’t get it. I know what will throw me over the bars and I am not going to intentionally do that. The only times I’ve gone OTB while braking it was because I hit something with my front wheel.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-23-18 at 11:57 AM.