Thread: Headtube crack
View Single Post
Old 04-23-18, 01:19 PM
skillasw
vintage Bianchiist

Bikes: Bianchis, 84 Superleggera, 86 Giro, 87 SportSx, 87 Campd'Italia, 87 Limited, 88 Proto, 95 TSXChorus, 94 TSX105/DAax, 94 Super Grizzley RC, 94 Genius Record, 06 Pinella Boron, 18 Volpe Avanti, 00 Megapro ST Veloce00 EM Strada OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If my second post seemed a bit cold and harsh it should.

The need to control the heat when pulling apart a frame, especially if brassed, is vital to the repair being a long term one. Tubing is designed to have one heat cycle, when it's initially joined. The pull apart is a second and the rejoining is the third. If the first was badly done (and the crack/lug separation from the HT/DT suggests such) then the repair has an even higher need for care.

Given the question about which torch is a good choice makes me think you have no experience in brazing. Is this correct? If so then I don't suggest you try this repair until you've done a fair amount of torch work and it's proven to be good work by time and miles.

Sorry to be the one to have a strong opinion. Just trying to have you avoid a weak frame after the repair. Andy
Oh I fully agree! I would not attempt anything before I thought I had the necessary skills. There is a frame building course I've been strongly considering taking here in BC (taught by Paul Brodie), if not that, I plan on learning at some point. It's a long term project, I would hate to needlessly destroy a beautiful frame...and would be rewarding be able fix it one day. I appreciate all the cautionary info just the same! point well taken. Thanks!