View Single Post
Old 04-25-18, 11:32 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4282 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I left this out of my lengthy post, but actually map data is something I think many people have unreasonable expectations about how accurate and how consistent the data is from one local to the other.
Many people have no idea that a map can be incomplete or wrong.

I keep an eye out for discrepancies and, if I find any, I update the Openstreetmap data.

...which for Garmin I think is still "HERE" formerly known as Navteq.
The newer Garmin Edges come with maps based on Openstreetmap data.

If you have not already done so, try different sites and tools to create your courses.
It's not likely that there will be significant differences between the files produced by different route planners.

There might be different features (not all of them can produce course points) or there might be differences due to using different maps.

Also, depending on site and your device, you will or may see some differences in how a .gpx file works as opposed to a .tcx file. You may have noticed that RWGPS gives you several options for each file format too.
Probably not (except through using different maps).

The Garmin Edges (and, I believe, all of the units used for cycling) use a synthetic track (something that looks like it was the result of recording a ride but with fewer points in straight sections).

RWGPS produces TCX files and GPX track files. These contain the same track points (both are track files). They won't work differently (they contain the same data). The TCX files can contain course points, which supports a separate feature. (Note that the Garmin Edges convert TCX and GPX files to FIT files.)

The "GPX route" produced by RWGPS just contains the few "must pass through" points. These show up on the Garmin Edges as connected straight lines. The Garmin Edges can't use these files. To use these files, the GPS unit has to calculate a route between the "must pass through" points.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-25-18 at 11:38 AM.