View Single Post
Old 04-25-18, 12:07 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4282 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
We'll just have to disagree then. No bigee, I'm up for a beer, coffee or what ever legal substance you relax with during conversation.
It seems you aren't quite getting what I'm talking about (that could be me but it's also not hard to describe).

* Different sites won't produce the same series of track points but, as long as the shape of the track is correct, that shouldn't matter.

* Different maps produce different tracks. That can matter but that's really a "difference in maps" issue.

Part of what I meant to say about trying different sites was to include that for some, the user interface just works better for them.
This is a valid point. Since the route planners basically produce the same file, people should use what is easiest for them to use.

I also disagree that a .tcx file from RWGPS will be identical in data to Strava or another, some sites I have to do a lot of pinning and rubber banding to get the course to go where I want. Other sites much less for the same route.
That wasn't what I was talking about. The data produced by different sites will be different. Though, as long as the same map is being used, those differences won't generally matter at all.

You talked about trying different files in RWGPS (the same site) like it could matter. There won't be any difference between using a TCX or GPS track file (the "GPX route" produced by RWGPS file has very different data and won't work at all on the Edges, or most cycling GPS's).

Also, even if the files are the same, the navigation software is different even among the various Garmin Edge devices. Some of the Garmin's, at least from what I've gleaned in the Garmin Forums, will interpret the course file rigidly. Others will try to apply that course file to the map the device contains. (the course files never contain a map) and then build your turn cues based on it's internal programming.
I was talking about the files.

The course files just contain a list of coordinate points ordered by time. There are enough points to accurately follow the curves and turns of the path you intend to follow.

The Garmins provide two modes of navigation: 1- track following/course points and 2- what Garmin calls "turn guidance".

1- With "track following", no maps are used. This method just follows along the track you've loaded to the unit. This method is what the Garmin units that don't have maps use.

2- With "turn guidance", the Garmin generates a second route by walking the track and seeing what roads on the installed map appears to follow. Since this uses the map on the Garmin, things tend to work better if you use the same map to create the course (in practice, the process generally handles differences).

The Garmins with maps (*) let you use both methods at the same time.

(* Except the Touring. Not sure about the "Explorer" models.)

As for OpenStreetData, it's a great resource. More accurate for some, but in my area very bad compared to the older Garmin Maps provided by HERE.
Openstreetmap has features that the Garmin City Navigator maps don't have (like cycleways).

I've submitted many corrections to OpenStreet. Some they've made, others they have not.
I wonder how you are "submitting" these. I make changes directly to OSM data. None of my changes where "not made".

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-25-18 at 09:22 PM.