Old 04-26-18, 10:11 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I serve on the board of a neighborhood association in Eugene. Our 'hood borders the river and has most of the homeless services in the city, so the bike path issues are front and center for us. After years of attempting to get something done about the conditions on the bike paths and getting no where under police chief Pete Kerns, who recently retired, we now have an interim chief from east Texas who has been responsive. Two real trouble spots on the south bank path, under the I-105 and under the Ferry St. Bridge, have been cleared out and kept that way. In fact, when I was riding back home with my granddaughters the other night after watching the Agate Hall Swifts return to the chimney, there were two police units dealing with a couple of transients who had set up camp under the I-105. That is definitely a new thing. Our new permanent police chief starts next week. I hope he can keep the momentum up.

As far as modal shares go, I think the US Census ACS includes students, but I'm not sure. Since the locales that tend to lead the pack are cities with substantial university presences, it makes sense that the students are being included.
That sounds promising! I also really hope they can keep the momentum up and reclaim the public spaces. Are they cleaning up the downtown too, or is that too much to hope for? I saw your other thread about moving out of Eugene. Is the change in policing giving you any hope of being able to stay in Eugene or is it a lost cause?

I almost bought a house there a couple years ago, and am now again considering moving there. My friends in the area are very positive about the town, but they all live in the South Hills so maybe it rose tints their perspective. We love so much about Eugene, but the homeless/transient population and general feeling of disrepair and skeeziness is a big negative, especially to my wife.