Old 04-28-18, 07:07 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I like them both and own small and big of both. One of the breaking torques, what I guess you call ratcheting, doesn't have much of a noticeable break when you reach the set torque. But I put that down to differences in brands, as it's a cheap Harbor Freight and the other breaking is a much older Craftsman. Or by ratcheting, were you talking about those funny digital torque wrenches???? I've never used one and don't see the point.

I think most swear by the beams being more accurate, but I doubt it's much. However in the long term, how will you know if the breaking ones aren't out of wack if you don't have any other to compare to, or have it checked by someone. Also, with the beams being a solid rod, I'd think unless you regularly pull max torque, then there is less chance for them to loose their accuracy. If the pointer is off when unloaded, you can just bend the pointer back to zero. But, how much accuracy do you really need? If you are paid for the work you do with it, then yes. For yourself on a bike or car, not so much IMO. For yourself on an aircraft... yes!

I use my breaking torques much more as I don't have to try to get my eyes in the correct position to see the readout while I'm trying to torque things down. For tightening head bolts on an engine, I might specifically pull out the big beam torque wrench. Otherwise they are used much less than the others unless I find one of them first when I've got things scattered all over. I'm still not convinced they are needed on a bike, unless of course you are working on someone else's for money.

Andrew R Stewart is usually pretty verbose, but I admit, he did answer the question as you posed it. I did a lot of supposing as to what you meant.
I should have said which do people prefer but I figured with the title being a comparison I figured people would understand the implied desire for preference.

I have a breaking torque wrench. It’s okay but the “break” isn’t always as noticeable as I would like. I might still get a beam style one and see if I like it