Old 05-03-18, 05:53 AM
JA TREK

Bikes: 2018 Scott Aspect 950, 2018 Trek Hybrid, 1971 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
yeah, you are just fitter & faster ... sometimes.
Lol!

Originally Posted by canklecat
I used to avoid the wind but it's been unavoidable this spring in Texas so I've gone with it. As a tailwind it's boosted my Strava times, which is fun. But as a headwind it's significantly improved my hill climbing. I'm still not a fast climber, but I'm nowhere near as slow as I used to be. I've improved from dead last on most climbs to the midway mark last year to the upper third this year, and even cracked the top ten on one segment.

In fact Wednesday I waited for the wind to peak at 22 mph steady out of the south to concentrate on riding steadily while fasting. I hadn't eaten in more than 12 hours and wanted to see if I could handle it without bonking. The wind forced me to concentrate on riding steadily, no sprints or exaggerated efforts. Rode 30 miles in two hours, felt great, only drank a couple of bottles of water, never needed the gels and energy bar I stashed in my pocket for emergencies.

We don't have many long climbs, so a headwind is the next best thing. The longest continuous climbs in my area are only 1.5 to 2 miles, averaging 2% but with the usual undulations from flat to 6% or so. But with a carefully chosen route I can ride for several miles into a headwind and concentrate on improving my aero tuck over distance, a steady cadence and other stuff I tend to ignore in the pursuit of raw speed. On every ride of 20-40 miles I try to get in 1,500-2,000 feet of total elevation gain, which is tricky here since it means looping some segments to get in extra laps of climbing. But I don't dread climbs like I used to.

But keep that twisting, whirling, gusting wind. Nearly getting blown off line into traffic ain't fun.
I use Strava also. I'm hoping the winds help me to improve my climbs as well! Awesome to hear about how much your stamina and rides are improving! Reading about all of the progress here in the forum is a great encouragement. You are very brave going out for 30 miles while fasting. I am prone to low blood sugar. I have had to watch my intake and increase protein since taking up cycling. I had one morning episode the day after a long ride (long got me starting out). A reminder to be careful with eating too much sugar.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I used to hate the wind, then I moved to Wyoming and learned I hadn't actually had to deal with actual wind much.

Now I love the wind. Just get low and narrow and power through!
I'm learning how to get lower and ride. Not quite used to it yet. Awesome that you now enjoy riding in the wind!

Originally Posted by hillyman

Origin8 drop bar ends a cheap way to try out drop handlebars on your flatbar hybrid. They really helped against wind on my mountain bike.
Thanks a bunch for the suggestion! I'm going to go Google these and purchase them to try them out!