Thread: Helix Update?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-18, 08:27 AM
RobotGuy 
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: Ď02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), Ď98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), Ď88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iíve been following the Helix Kickstarter for some time now and Iím sorry, but I am just dismayed at their business model. Thus far theyíve collected north of $2 million Canadian and not a single bike delivered... in what, a few years?

Iíve been part of the materials engineering / manufacturing / automation/ aerospace/ robotics field for years. There are so many ways to do this correctly. Building a factory with robotic welders in phase one is crazy. Starting with titanium is crazy. Robotically welding titanium in phase one is crazy. Iím afraid you guys invested in an idealistic view of the manufacturing world, not one rooted in experience.

We are talking about a freakin bike frame here. Even Elon Musk has a better track record on making deadlines... and his product puts cars in orbit.

if it were me, I would have started with high quality steel and contracted a Chinese or Taiwanese bike builder. I wouldíve had that bike to market in 12 months At half the price.

Last edited by RobotGuy; 05-06-18 at 08:58 AM.