Old 05-06-18, 03:28 PM
smallboats
Large Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobotGuy View Post
Iíve been following the Helix Kickstarter for some time now and Iím sorry, but I am just dismayed at their business model. Thus far theyíve collected north of $2 million Canadian and not a single bike delivered... in what, a few years?

Iíve been part of the materials engineering / manufacturing / automation/ aerospace/ robotics field for years. There are so many ways to do this correctly. Building a factory with robotic welders in phase one is crazy. Starting with titanium is crazy. Robotically welding titanium in phase one is crazy. Iím afraid you guys invested in an idealistic view of the manufacturing world, not one rooted in experience.

We are talking about a freakin bike frame here. Even Elon Musk has a better track record on making deadlines... and his product puts cars in orbit.

if it were me, I would have started with high quality steel and contracted a Chinese or Taiwanese bike builder. I wouldíve had that bike to market in 12 months At half the price.
Agreed. It has been 13 months since the last public disclosure of information from the creator with the April 6, 2017 blog entry on the helix.ca website. This is a one man operation that has all the outward appearances of being a KickFail.

The blog entries use present tense sentence structure to imply the bike is alraedy being manufactured. It is not. Who is on the "Helix team?" What is the physical address of the "Helix factory?" How about a picture of the boxes that will be used to ship the bikes? If a few bikes were made for testing, provide one to a reviewer for some free publicity.

Is there anyone in the Toronto area willing to locate the "Helix factory" and provide a few pictures of the exterior of the building? If yes, please take a moment to knock on the door during normal business hours.