MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Piechowiak11
Hey Folks,

I'm looking to venture into the hybrid world I've always just rode cheap mountain bikes, but i figured i'd get something a bit nicer now. I'm looking to spend any where from 400-800 bucks on one. I've went to the bike shop and test rode a few different bikes but I feel like everyone there is a salesmen so i never really get unbiased opinions on them. The brands I'm looking at are Fuji, Specialized, Trek and Giant, I ride a mixture of smooth pavement, beat up pavement and some gravel roads. The couple things I want for sure are front shocks and disc breaks, any comments or suggestions what to take for a ride or take a look at will be appreciated.

Thanks!
1. $400 to $800 is a sensible budget, pretty much the sweet spot for decent hybrids at local bike shops, or chains like REI, or Performance. Spend as much as you can afford. If you choose wisely, more money spend up front pays dividends later, as better components will work better, last longer, and be somewhat future proofed. (somewhat. Every couple of years the bike and components manufacturers upgrade the latest and grreatest, and thus, everything else trickles down to lower price points.) But that said, go on any well traveled cycling route or MUP on a busy spring or summer day and you will see still see people happily riding bikes from the 90s, 80s, and even the 70s, so whatever you buy now should last you at least a decade, or two if you take care of it.

2. You won't get unbiased opinions here, either. We all have our preferences and biases. Mine is, I hate suspension forks at lower price points, and I would suggest you avoid them. They are heavy, energy sucking monsters and you would do better putting your money into a better frame, better drivetrain components, or better wheels.

3. I already addressed suspension forks. Why do you feel you need disc brakes? Not that there is anything wrong with them, and it does seem to be where the industry is going, but unless you ride a lot in bad weather, rim brakes generally work fine, cost and weigh a lot less, and are simple and easy to adjust. I know hydraulic discs work better, but honestly, I wonder about having to bleed the brakes as part of a regular service. With V brakes, honestly all you have to do is replace the pads every couple of years and replace cables once every 10 years or so..