View Single Post
Old 05-11-18, 01:20 PM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
For those of you reading through this thread, please be aware that based on what he is posting here, KraneXL is not very knowledgeable about the latest research on ketogenic diets. Some of what he is saying shows he is confused on some of the facts, other things he is saying are just flat wrong.

If you are truly interested in what the diet is all about, please do some Google searches and look for the various MD's and Phd's that recommend and offer information about the current state of the low carb and ketogenic diets. It's not dangerous, its not new and it works very well for a number of people. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

I'm living proof that it works and is safe. I am still new at it of course, but I am doing it under the watch/advise of my Endocrinologist, Cardiologist (2 of them), my primary doctor and for what is worth, my Podiatric Surgeon{Foot Doctor** ( BPM, FACFAS,FAMOS <- not sure what those mean, lol) And everyone of them are supportive and agree that it is a great choice and we are seeing positive results. I'm now down to 272 now, I was officially 302 when I started a few weeks ago. When I started to change, I was at 338, my heaviest.
And in that time, I have eliminated 1 diabetic med and cut back the dose of 2 more. I have been able to stop using 1 blood pressure med and lower the dose on 2 more. My blood pressure has gone down to more of a normal range than ever, my resting heart rate has lowered from running mid to high 60's to low to mid 50's bpm. I went from wearing a size 44 pants to 40, maybe a 38 now. 3/4xl shirt to a 2xl and may hit xl before long.
I have a starting blood work labs from about a month before I started, and when I started and next week I do labs again.
I am diabetic, but numbers are running way normal, have been for a year, but better/stable now. My last 2 A1C's where 5.4. Next check is next week I think... I have had a triple bypass in 2016 and stent put in August of 2017. I just had the Scans of my heart done 2 weeks ago and the doctor says it looks better now than it ever has. Everything is working in normal range.
Part of this is started my better eating habits going into Keto, and part is riding my bike more. However!!!! I have not been able to ride much since I started due to surgery on my foot and my calf muscle. I have maybe 20-25 miles in this YEAR at max. So most all of my improvement has been diet alone.

AS far as how I am doing the diet, I learn about here to start with, I have talked via PM's with some members that lead me to websites such as Diet Doctor and Rule Me. I bought and following "Loosely" : "Keto in 28" and my main guide: "The Ketogenic Diet" by Kristen Mancinelli, MS, RD

Yes, Google Keto Diet and educate yourself. I have and am doing it under my doctors supervision. It works, but it very strict and requires a new way of thinking.

Interesting fact that hit home : Your body does not need carbs, and it does not need them from food! If your body needs carbs for anything, it will make them itself. No need to eat them. Your body craves them, because we are programmed to eat them and they are cheap, easy fuel to use. And very easy to overdo and get stored as fat because the American diet is too carb rich. The science is still coming through, they are realizing carbs are really not that good for us overall. Kinda like how they use to think Tobacco was healthy and safe. We now know that is incorrect, and are learning that about carbs. I can go on, but I've gone on long enough for one post.