Old 05-14-18, 04:30 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Before this, the only "suicide shift" reference I ever heard was to the seat tube mounted Simplex Tour de France and related direct-action rod-type front derailleurs from the 1940s and 1950s. Schwinn put these on the inaugural (1960) Varsinentals, until parts manager Keith Kingbay later got the Huret brothers drunk on martinis at a Chicago steak house and convinced them to lower the price on their cable-controlled alternative. (See "The Dancing Chain.")

I guess some have also referred to the Cambio Corsa and related systems as "suicide shift," but that was before my time.

"Suicide levers" is an apt description of turkey brakes handles, which provide a very false sense of security while compromising both stopping power and steering control/stability.
I'm surprised that nobody thusfar has made reference to suicide shifters on old motorcycles. Actually an H-pattern shifter down on the transmission case where one would have to ride with one hand on the handlebars and reach down behind the legs to shift.