Old 05-14-18, 07:05 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
What psi was it? the max psi written on the tire has nothing to do with actual pressure you need, it is just a safety maximum pressure. I have about 25 psi on my 2" front tires (probably could have 20 psi) (I'm 175#)

funny how they give the Roam only 38mm tires from factory. Go to 50 mm an that coil suspension becomes meaningless. and no, rolling resistance on real world surfaces does not increase.
I always set my pressure based on the range stated on the tire. The max psi on my Roam's stock tire is 65 psi. My guess is I was riding around 50-60 psi. Can't tell for sure because I did not check my tire pressure before that ride. I filled up the tires a couple of days ago and didn't fill it up before that ride. I understand that setting tire pressure is different for each person depending on the person's weight, riding environment, tires, etc... I haven't spent time trying to find the perfect tire pressure for me and quite frankly, I don't really want to spend time doing that. This is exactly why I got the Roam. I wanted a bike that I can pick up and ride, whenever I want to. The suspension fork gives me the comfort that I very much appreciated when I had an older Trek Verve.

Sure I could get a bike with 50mm tires, but my Roam can fit tires wider than 38mm if I really wanted to. I don't even care about rolling resistance. What I care about is a bike that keeps me pedaling. My Roam with the suspension fork keeps me pedaling through the rough roads and I think that is pretty awesome.