View Single Post
Old 05-14-18, 05:58 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
My basic commute is 65 miles a week (13 miles/day, 7 miles in, 6 miles home),,.

Two weeks ago I committed to 24 mile days every day regardless of weather..]This past week, I hoped to do a century on Saturday (day before yesterday) but did not taper during the week, kept that 120 mile schedule…

Anyway, I hope at some point that my 120 week will be the new normal and can get long rides in on the occasional Saturdays. I have a hard time picturing being able to maintain those 120 mile weeks through the winter though, least of all the days of 8 hrs sunlight or less.
FYA, this is my desired baseline:
Originally Posted by tsl
… I was concerned about getting decent miles in. This is the time of year when I'd take my 17-mile long loop to work, and a 13-mile cut of it coming home. It's not that I chase miles for the sake of numbers. It takes me 50 miles a week just to feel good and normal, I feel fantastic over 100 miles a week, and like Superman over 150.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I particularly agree with your assessment of weekly mileage, though at over 150 miles per week, I call it hyper-fit.

Since March 6, through June 6 [2016], I have been engaged with a fitness challenge at work. This past week, I rode about 150 miles, via extended commuting routes, and still am in fourth place (of about 40 participants), neck and neck for third place.
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You must WIN, Jim. Do whatever it takes ... must win...
However,
…I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride…
I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week [optional Commuter Rail home], and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-14-18 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added Phil_gretz quote