View Single Post
Old 05-14-18, 11:42 PM
Nubie

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Did you try this and if so how did you get on .... I actually spoke to Specialized in the UK yesterday with this exact same query as it's not clear and some of the retailers websites in the UK are saying the Ali ones will take 42's which is really miss-leading.
So I never actually tried my cousin's tire on my frame, but I did put 700x35 Panaracer Gravel King SK tires on mine (replacing the stock 700x30 tires). I would say that although the alloy frame probably *could* fit a 38mm tire, it would be an extremely tight fit. Too close for my comfort, anyway. The issue is that the alloy frame has a little "bridge" between the chain stays at the base of the seat tube, thus limiting the tire clearance, whereas the carbon does not. I also feel the distance between the seat stays is slightly narrower on the alloy frame than the carbon frame, though I did not measure. I've tried to post some pics, my frame is the purple-brown one and her's is blue-green (please pardon the gigantic size of the pictures, I could not figure out how to shrink them down):

Alloy Diverge frame with 700x35 Panaracer Gravel King SK tire

Carbon Diverge frame with stock 700x38 Trigger Pro Tire

Alloy Diverge frame with 700x35 Panaracer Gravel King SK tire

Carbon Diverge frame with stock 700x38 Trigger Pro Tire

Last edited by Nubie; 05-14-18 at 11:47 PM. Reason: spelling