Old 05-15-18, 05:26 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Piechowiak11
Alright guys I went and rode the giant roam and the ds2 they both rode well I'm thinking about the giant more though, but the guy at the shop brought up the idea of getting a mountain bike and throwing different tires on it in case I ever wanted to get into mountain biking the frame would hold up. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Good ? Bad? Indifferent? I'm not opposed to the idea just not sure how a mountain bike would handle with road tires on it.
Sounds a lot like they have an MTB they need to get rid of and try to talk you into it...
A real MTB will have terrible geometry for the road and be expensive for all the MTB qualities. If they sell you a fake MTB, like the Roam kind of tends to be (suspension fork), it isn't good at MTB stuff anyway. Buy a bike for YOUR use case, not what the the LBS has overstocked.
our opinions here are biased, but at least they are free and we don't have a financial motive to talk you into something...

Maybe add a fatbike and a roadbike while you are at it. You know, in case you ever go to snow or take part in the TdF. Just in case.