View Single Post
Old 05-15-18, 07:21 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
So is your cheaper hammock big enough for you to be comfortable?
one thing I've learned is that sleep shouldn't be skimped on, so I really want to get this right.
Agreed - Sleep is very important. I sleep real well in my hammock. Better than I do in a tent. There is a learning curve to using and sleeping in one. If you decide to buy one and have the ability to to set one up at home to practice, I'd recommend doing so. My friend with the Hennessy has trouble sleeping anyway and says he sleeps the same as if he was at home. He has done a lot of experimenting with his set up to get the hang of using it, but says he'd never go back to a tent.

Here's a link to the hammock I bought. It's no longer available. It is plenty long. I don't like the double tabs for suspending the mosquito net. It's does make for lots of space underneath the netting. I made some spreader bars for the the tabs on the netting. It takes time to put in and the spreader bars and they touch the sides of the rainfly. If I had to do it again, I'd look for a hammock with a single row of loops on the mosquito netting.

Here's the one I bought for my son which is on the small side for me. Listed at 105" long.

There's lots of choices on Amazon. Some of them do have the single row of tabs on the mosquito netting. I'm cautious to recommend one I haven't personally seen. You take a risk when you buy an unknown brand, but it worked for me.

I started with this tarp and bought this one for cold and rainy weather. I also picked up this UQ and this one for my son's hammock. Both UQs work fine for the price point, but limit the ability to sleep diagonally. Using a sleeping pad is probably a better mode in case you ever have to sleep on the ground. I find using my UQ and some down quilts I bought at Costco for a top quilt is my most comfortable and convenient method for sleeping.