Old 05-15-18, 01:57 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by munkeyfish
Interesting fact that hit home : Your body does not need carbs, and it does not need them from food! If your body needs carbs for anything, it will make them itself. No need to eat them. Your body craves them, because we are programmed to eat them and they are cheap, easy fuel to use. And very easy to overdo and get stored as fat because the American diet is too carb rich. The science is still coming through, they are realizing carbs are really not that good for us overall. Kinda like how they use to think Tobacco was healthy and safe. We now know that is incorrect, and are learning that about carbs. I can go on, but I've gone on long enough for one post.
The conventional wisdom was for a long time that the more fat you eat, the fatter you get. It has also long been thought that fat is what causes heart disease and obesity, but many new theories which are becoming more and more accepted is that it's sugar which might be causing heart disease rather than fat. It certainly causes obesity. Many studies done decades ago were sponsored by the sugar industry and naturally they found that fat, not sugar, is bad for you. So the thinking was that "low fat" is the way to lose weight, while foods labeled "low fat" were and still are loaded with sugar. So while a food may be low fat, it's not going to help you lose weight with all that sugar in it. That's why people who have tried low fat diets in the past met with little success. Since sugar is a relatively recent addition to the human diet, not counting the natural sugars in fruit, our bodies are still trying to figure out how to process it all. And so much food we eat is loaded with sugar, and it's making us fat.

Fat, on the other hand, helps us feel full longer and many people have lost weight on a high fat/low carb diet which would be similar to if not the same thing as Keto. Of course, trans fats should be avoided because they have been shown to increase cholesterol levels in the bloodstream. But natural fats are OK.

Of course I don't know how much truth there is in all of this, but I for one have found it incredibly difficult to lose weight by cutting out the fat, and in the past on a low fat diet my fingernails became brittle to the point they kept developing cracks in them. But I really wasn't very successful in losing the weight until I learned to cut out sugar and carbs, and the results have been amazing.